Friday, June 19, 2009

We DON’T NEED the Love

WE DON’T WANT THE LOVE! KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES! FOR EIGHT YEARS WE WERE BOMBED AND GASSED AND MASSACRED AND NOBODY EVER SAID A WORD! I DON’T REMEMBER THE ECONOMIST DEDICATING A COVER TO OUR HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DEAD BACK THEN! SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU HEINOUS, DESPICABLE SCOUNDRELS!


The emphasis wasn't mine, BTW. But wow! Now who would write such a thing? A resident of the former Palestinian village of Sderot? Palestinians of Gaza or some refugee camp in Lebabon?

No, this is how Iranian blogger Pedestrian from the rather delectably looking SideWalkLyrics blog concluded one of her last posts on, well, whatever is actually going on in the Islamic Republic of Iran... (I found the blog previously on the blog roll of my resident Zionist Emmanuel Schiff - Breaking News: world finds use for Zionism!)

A few things this blogger doesn't like:

Rumours:

The baseless gossip twirling around on Twitter, facebook and the main stream media.

Of course, if the state-sponsored radio and television in Iran had an OUNCE of integrity, none of these outlets would have been at all relevant to begin with.

Last night, both Reza Aslan (on CNN) and NIAC (on their own blog) declared via their own VERY questionable “sources” that “Some of my sources in Iran have told me that Ayatollah Rafsanjani, who is the head of the Assembly of Experts — the eighty-six member clerical body that decides who will be the next Supreme Leader, and is, by the way, the only group that is empowered to remove the Supreme Leader from power — that they have issued an emergency meeting in Qom. ”

My cousins in Iran have told me the same thing, so I’m not sure what sort of sources Aslan is quoting here.

These extremely baseless rumors have been going around the internet for days now, but to have a self-proclaimed “scholar” on CNN regurgitate this bullshit is the last straw. Since he uttered those statements, that bit of rumor has not left the Huffintong Post headlines or my facebook newsfeed.

In my facebook, there are also numerous obscure and vague photos of blood and gore. I am not talking about the CONFIRMED atrocities! But just to give you an example, one photo album that was being spread around, I was able to identify as one I’d seen six years ago after the earthquake in Bam.

English Banners, References to Color-Coded Revolutions
Why are people in Iran holding so many English banners? I know why! They do that all the time, even in annual pro-government demonstrations to mark the anniversary of the revolution. The same reason all stores, from Tehran to my hometown of Dezful, have English banners instead of Persian ones. But we’ve never noticed it. Now, it is just too reminiscent of other color-coded revolutions.

And lastly, THE LUURRRVE:

Where she praises the outstanding Glen Greenwald (his Salon post is a must-read, IMHO), fisks Robert Fisk and slaps Brian Williams and Seumas Milne. Obviously he couldn't have watched Mr Pomp, Martin - I don't know fuck all either but they pay me to blather on so here goes - Amis, on last night's This Week (BBC 1). Oh, and The Economist gets a good roasting too...

Having by now read a trillion syllables on the Iran (vote rigging/popular revolt/revolutionette/swing towards Americanism/battle between the Towelheads/'reformist' Mousavi/'dictator' Ahmadinejad/George "the scab" Galloway/Islamic Nazis - delete according to irrelevant Western perspective) situation it's hard to escape the impression that Iran is a black box onto which each Westerner projects his own deeply rooted prejudices, according to their own perspectives (Left, Right, Eustonite, Zio, American, Islamophobic etc). Meanwhile in the black box, stuff and information goes in one end, stuff and information comes out the other end and we just don't know what happens inside of it...

Oh, and will they now? Will they what? Shut the fuck up? Nah, will they fuck...

2 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Emmanuel said...

Glad you found me useful for a change, even if you did find a way to use a non-I/P conflict related post to bash Israel.

By the way, Pedestrian is a she.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Gert said...

Noted and corrected.

I thought the connection to I-P was rather crafty, myself...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home