Sunday, October 09, 2005

Is This the Death of America?


















The Daily Mirror is a people's rag. Vaguely leftie, it's The Sun without page three, tittle-tattle for the intellectually challenged, bog paper at best. But at my local, shall we say the "Bull and Swan", it's the paper of choice and yesterday I was rummaging through it for want of something better to do. Amidst the absurd "health and sex tips", a sobber about Britney, Bruno's "cocaine hell", lots of mindless titillating prattle and some ubiquitous flashing from our B-list celebs and some more trash, I found this item filed under News: Is this the Death of America? by Dermot Purgavie, Veteran US correspondent. This is a remarkably good read, considering it's via The Mirror.

There's nothing particularly new in this article but it sums up pretty much how much of Middle America is feeling about its own nation. The main source of amazement to me is that this kind of critical thought (of a British ally! Our brothers in arms!) managed to find its way into the Mirror.

America, Gawd Bless her!

Keywords:
, ,

4 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Gert,
As I said at The Old Brit - great minds, eh?

As my time's my own, I read most online UK papers and a few foreign ones, regularly.

The Mirror seems to throw up some real gems from time to time.

As for the Sun - ugh. I put it on par with the Telegraph. Yep. Really. They're both, way too WAY out for me - albeit in completely opposite directions.

To me, the Sun's a comic - and the Telegraph's the 'establishment's' old Pravda.

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if we agree that Canada is on top and then turn the map the other way round, New Orleans could be a part of the former when the latter fact is subsumed within the former generic fact. After all, amongst a multitude of others, that is how the 'war on terror' is justified isn't it.

 
At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have only one thing to say, ba-ha-ha-ha-haha-hahaha HAA-AH HA-HA-HA!!!! (cOUGH!)

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Gert said...

I think you're in decline.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home