Sunday, March 20, 2005

The Importance of Pinging Earnest?

Relatively new to blogging I heard about the practice of “pinging” recently. Pinging comes down to letting various blog directories know your blog has been updated.

Let me be lazy and quote from pingomatic.com:

“Pinging lets dozens of services know you've updated your site and increases traffic to your blog.

There are a number of services designed specifically for tracking and connecting blogs. However it would be expensive for all the services to crawl all the blogs in the world all the time. By sending a small ping to each service you let them know you’ve updated so they can come check you out. They get the freshest data possible, you don’t get a thousand robots spidering your site all the time. Everybody wins.”

Sounds a bit like a bloggers dream come true or is it to good to be true like so many “traffic builders”. Is pinging really what it’s cracked up to be? Is it necessary to do or is it just more hype? Don’t look at me… I’m asking you!


Maybe I'll find out soon: I've just pinged...

Keywords:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home